Friday, September 22, 2006

Back to the home of beer...


One week ago I left Motown and not just with one crying eye, no, with two.
I know, some will think “lucky girl, she’s back to Germany, having Spätzle and a good German beer”. Well, to be honest, I already miss Detroit. And I want to share with you my experiences in the last couple of days back to Germany.


Bianca is confused…
- Going in a restaurant with my Mom for lunch I was waiting for the hostess to be seated…I’m happy my Mom was with me, maybe I would still be standing there.
- Why is the cashier looking at me in a weird way when I was asking her how she’s doing today? Just wanted to be nice.
- Hm…do the gas stations also show the prizes per gallon? And where can I insert my credit card?
- Why is the waitress so happy? I just gave her 16% tip…
- And why are all my friends laughing when I’m asking for a doggy bag after dinner?
- Sunday morning…no milk in the fridge…hm, why is there no light turned on in the supermarkets?
- “Are the prizes shown on the products including or excluding tax?
- “Oh my god…will my car fit through that tiny street?”
- Wow! Less sports…no counting of calories…and no gained weight! Wow!! :o)

Bianca enjoys some German stuff…
- My first day I had a real “Bretzel” with butter and a coffee (not just brown water…Don, you should try that)
- Saturday night I went out with a friend and had some real German beer…my head the day after was so bad, why did nobody remind me that I’m having German beer?
- I visited my grandma and aunt to say hi and practiced talking German again. My stupid sentences are getting less…I’m a good student
- Monday night I had a real Swabian “Vesper” (dinner) with rolls, cheese, sausages and a “Apfelsaftschorle” (apple juice with sparkling water)

Bianca is getting melancholy…
- “In Detroit I would sit outside in the sun with Maggie, Shannon and Jen and have lunch, now! My girls always had some funny stories to tell.”
- “There was always action in our house in Detroit…roommates where are you!!!???”
- “I miss the lakes, the beach, my friends, my car, Royal Oak, …”
- “I didn’t have the chance to see the beautiful fall in Michigan, so I’m sorry but I have to go back! There is also a lot of other stuff I haven’t done yet!”
- “You know, there was that restaurant in Troy…if they have delivery service to Germany?”
- “I had so much fun there and it’s a really different way of life than in Germany…I want to go back…I will go back…I have to go back…I will be back!”

As you see I really miss Detroit, I miss the AutoCom staff, Michigan, my roommates, talking English and so on. Yes, it really became my second home. And as nice as Germany is, I feel that there is the time for me to do something else. I’ve been here for 24 years now…it’s time for a change. I’m already thinking about places where I could write my diploma thesis…so cross your fingers for me and if you have some proposals just tell me :o)….

Beside all this I’m getting really busy. I have to write my seminar paper, a report about my internship and I have to say hi to all my friends and of course write my Detroit friends what’s going on in Germany.

I’LL BE BACK…Bianca~~~

Greetings from Stuttgart…

5 Comments:

At September 22, 2006 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bianca! As much as you miss your second home...I know that I miss you more! Remeber, you always have a place, when you come back! You and Mr Brew can share a room!

 
At September 22, 2006 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems like you'll be back - but you need to come back before I'm gone!!! :) I know how you feel - was the same when I had to go back after my High-School year - and thats why I'm back! I love it here and I know I will be missing everything here as you do right now!
Keep smiling :) we all miss you!

 
At September 22, 2006 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you come back to us you'll have a tough time to find the office because at least it will turn into a spa (see pictures below). So don't forget to bring your swimsuit with you!
And remember: don't turn on red! :)

 
At September 22, 2006 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bianca,

I just had two beers for lunch in your honor. Not bad, but not German.

Come back soon. But maybe I will come to Deutschland sooner.

 
At September 24, 2006 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bianca.....we miss you much,much more than you could possibly imagine.

Your post was an absolute treat to read as well.....you had Kathi and me in stitches (laughing our heads off....geez that's a lot of slang !!)

We do miss you....you were and obviously still are a ray of sunshine and good humor.

Sometimes I get the feeling that AutoCom is more like a family than a business. You certainly are and will continue to be an important member of that family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home