Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Markus first impressions

Hello Detroit!

Leaving Germany in early summer, arriving in Detroit in rainy fall was my first impression when I found one’s feet in Detroit last Wednesday.
Bianca picked me up at the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (greetings to Linda :-)

The first days Bianca helped me handle all the stuff every new intern has to do:

- Check in at the Oakland campus
- Apply for the social security number
- Get a bank account
- Get a car
- Having the first American burger with
- Bianca, Lei and Maggie
- …
Due to the current interns support everything is easier than I expected!

Really interesting was looking for a car:

Bianca and I went to Pontiac and stopped at different used car dealers:
People there where a bit strange; five or more sitting in a really small office, giving you car keys for test drives and saying nothin’ expect “this car drives perfect”.
(One had hardly working brakes; one had a bad wheel and another didn’t start)

My rescue was Biancas’ idea going to Wayne, who sometimes repairs cars for AutoCom.
He showed us an old Volvo, a red family car with a huge trunk.
I will buy it tomorrow, after he has repaired different things and did attendance.

Now it’s my second official workday and everything is going on well, the staff is really nice and I got the first instructions from Bianca, Lei and Dee.

On Friday Bianca, Lei and I will go to the Detroit Press Club Foundation awards event at six in the morning, which was arranged by Jack.
Once a week we have a “PR-Lunch” with Jack to discuss about public relations and Jack tells us about PR-Events we could attend as well.
Another event, which Jack offered us last Friday, will be a Public Relations night in June in the Palace (Pistons Basketball Stadium) where the Detroit Shock (Detroit female basketball team) will be playing.

But now let’s finish this post and hope the first exciting projects will come soon!

Markus

7 Comments:

At May 17, 2006 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right Markus. As Ilka supported me doing all that stuff I was also really happy. And I think it's a matter of course that the interns help each other.

I'm relly excited to go to the TV-Station on friday. THANK YOU JACK! :) Although it will be a hard day at work due to the fact that we have to get up at about 4 o'clock in the night! ~~good night~~ ;)

 
At May 18, 2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have to get up even earlier.. Markus, maybe you can run to my house as a morning excercise~~~

 
At May 18, 2006 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lei,

you sometimes have really strange ideas,anyway thank you very much for your help the last days.

 
At May 18, 2006 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No.. Both Bianca and I think it is a great idea~~~ :)

 
At May 23, 2006 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the detailed airport-information :)
It´s good to know about the help of the autocom-team..
Your work activities and tasks sound exciting!!
Hope you car is reliable and doing a good job, I´m anxious to see it!!

 
At May 23, 2006 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I´ve forgotten to post my name .. the last comment was written by me, Linda :)

 
At May 30, 2006 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adonis,

viele Grüße aus dem rattenkalten Deutschland von Epse. Hoffe Du hast dich gut eingelebt. Wir haben übrigens 105 Euro Überschuß von der Klassenparty. Können wir ja bei deiner Rückkehr verballern.

Alles gute und viel Erfolg!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home