Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Visiting the Yupees

Yesterday (May 29) was Memorial Day, an official holiday in the US. So we had a great long weekend! :o)

I went up to the Upper Peninsula with 7 friends. Upper Peninsula is in North Michigan at Lake Superior. Jack told me, that the people living up there are called the Yupees (UPs). It's about an 8 hours drive, but it's worth driving that long way. We had a cottage in the Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore. It was like beeing in the Middle of Nowhere. The cottage was between the woods right next to a small lake. We made a boat trip to see the Pictured Rocks. It's amazing. You have to do that!! All that different colors in the rocks and between them really nice beaches. Waterfalls. Caves....
The next day we went to the Two Hearted River next to Newberry and started an 5 hour canou trip down to Lake Superior. That was lots of fun and a "back to the nature" feeling as I never had it before. After that long, great and also exhausting trip I went "swimming" in Lake Superior. It was freezing, really freezing. You can just jump in and have to jump out again. It's too cold to stay in there. But it's an amazing feeling when you come out of the water.
We also went to the Tahquamanon Falls, the White Fish Point and had "Pasties" (miners had that for lunch with them, it's great).
I can just repeat it. It's an amazing nature up there and you will never want to go back...but you have to. ;o( I'm still overwhelmed of all what I saw there.
I will add some pictures as soon as possible.

If you would like to know more about the UP just visit www.exploringthenorth.com.

Sunny and relaxed greetings from
Bianca

2 Comments:

At June 01, 2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't mention the musquitoes there and what they have done to you.... :p

 
At June 01, 2006 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes you're right Lei.

Ok, I had about 30 mosquito bites when I came back from the UP. Some are gone, but some are getting bigger and bigger. And now the lymph glands behind my ear are swollen and I will see a doctor to show him that. But it was a great trip anyway and I would go there again any time....

Bianca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home