Wednesday, June 21, 2006

DETROIT-IMPRESSIONS

After one week staying in the "8-mile-city" I decided to write about my first experiences concerning the life in the hometown of Eminem (now I know the chapel where he got married several times :).
First of all I arrived safely at the Airport (where Markus picked me up which was very kind of him - thanks, Markus!) but my baggage didn’t received as well as me: it didn’t come along with the second plane, which I boarded in Philadelphia. Thus for the first day the motto themed: improvise!
Fortunately everything else worked very well: I was introduced to my colleagues who are likeable guys and I moved in my room at Oakland University.
The following days I dealed with the typical intern stuff: I applied for the social security number, opened an account at Comerica and asked Wayne (the guy who sales cars to AutoCom-interns) if he can offer me one of his autos.
The car-matter is really different to Germany: without having one you’re completely dependent to others who are lucky owners of that four wheeled thing (Markus: thank you so much for giving me all the rides! I promise, I’ll return the favor...). I haven’t seen a train or a bus or other public transportations since I arrived!
At the last weekend we went to one of the Malls and I was very impressed by all the stores and sale offers (maybe this is due to the fact that I’m a woman?? ;)
Yesterday Jack took us to an event of SPJ (Society of Professional Journalism) where prizes were awarded to journalists and (investigative) stories they’ve written. Today it’s raining all along but the previous days we had a nice and warm climate therefore I’m confident of doing BBQ in the near future!


Linda

2 Comments:

At June 21, 2006 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta give some insider information....Linda has really really nice smiles...That's why Markus is so motivated to drive her around.... ;p

 
At June 27, 2006 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone....

Nothing really to do with this particular post, but I was wondering why no one has posted anything about the World Cup or included any photos from some of the parties that have been going on around town here in Detroit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home